emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Hickory
The hickory, which includes the pecan nut, is a tree valued for its foliage which often colours well in autumn.
The wood has been used for the bottoms of skis, lacrosse sticks and drumsticks and is prized as a fuel for woodburning stoves.
Genus of about 18 species of deciduous trees, mostly found in woodland in eastern Asia and North America.
Deciduous - pinnate, alternate leaves which colour well in autumn.
Tree - pendent male catkins are produced in late spring.
Additional Features - Good to know - makes a good specimen for lawn or woodland garden.
Pests & Diseases - crown gall, powdery mildew, leaf spot.
Place of origin - eastern Asia, North America.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - deep, humus- rich.
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video