- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Knapweed
Genus of about 650 species of annuals, perennials and subshrubs widely found in dry sites, rocky mountain slopes, subalpine meadows, woodland and sand dunes mainly in Europe and the Mediterranean.
Some Knapweeds in the wild can be invasive but garden forms are ornamental and all are beneficial to insects.
In the UK the common C. nigra, Hardhead, can be dried and flower tops make a pale yellow-green dye.
The native perennial Greater knapweed, C. scabiosa can be found mainly in the south and east of England in hedgerows, roadsides and dry grassland.
Herbaceous Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Thistle-like, spherical or hemispherical flowers with tubular florets.
Good to know - wildlife plant - bees and butterflies.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
Europe, Mediterranean, North America, Australia.
Fertile well drained soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
CENTAUREA montana 'Purple Heart'
GERANIUM phaeum 'Album'
Buy Varieties of CENTAUREA
Deep reddish-purple feathery flowers and silvery leaves
Pure white flowers growing up to 45cms(18ins)
White cornflower with purple centre
Compact. Lilac-pink cornflowers above frosted silver foliage