- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Small, narrowly-elliptic, dark-green leaves 0.5-2cm (¼-¾in) long.
2 - 2.5m (6½-8ft)
Medium shrub Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Dense, mound-forming shrub. Produces flowers singly or in clusters of 5 followed by shiny berries that persist into winter.
Hardy - cold winter Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
For best berry production. Shelter from cold winds.
Berries These plants have berries.
Good to know
wildlife plant - insects, birds.
Pests & Diseases
aphids, woolly aphids, webber moth caterpillars, scale insects, fireblight, honey fungus.
Place of origin
southeasternTibet. Introduced to UK by Frank Kingdon-Ward (1885-1958) in 1923.
Entire see photos above
Elliptic see photos above
Pruning group 5
Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Fertile well drained soil - will tolerate a dry position.
2 - 2.5m (6½-8ft)