- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
FUCHSIA magellanica 'Alba'
Commonly known as Hardy fuchsia
FUCHSIA magellanica 'Alba'
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
To semi evergreen in warmer climates. Scalloped to toothed leaves 1.5-6cm (½-2½in) long.
Hedge Ideal for hedging
Suitable for a coastal hedge if some protection given from direct sea-winds
Medium shrub Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Erect shrub. Small flowers are feely produced. Red, oblong-shaped fruit
Hardy - average winter Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Good to know - will grow to 3m (10ft) in milder areas. Can be used as a hedge in milder areas
Pests & Diseases
whiteflies, capsid bugs, aphids, vine weevil, red spider mites, grey mould, rust.
Place of origin
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Single Row of petals round conspicuous stamens - no more than 8 petals
Coastal / windswept
Frost hardy (down to -5)
Denticulate see photos above
Elliptic see photos above
Pruning group 4
Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7
Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Growing & Caring for Fuchias
- Fully hardy fuchsias as hedging or as shrubs
- Wall climbing fuchsias
- Tender conservatory fuchsias
- Hardy, colourful border fuchsias
- Hard Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Six weeks after pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fuchsia procumbens
- Propagation Fuchsia arborescens - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fuchsia Hardwood Cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video