emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
HARDY FERNS Blechnum chilense
Commonly known as Crown fern
Evergreen - pinnate fronds to 1m (3ft) on brown-scaly stalks.
Height - 1-1.8m (3-6ft)
Spread - indefinite
Fern - creeping rhizome which may become erect and trunk-like.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - none.
Place of origin - Chile, Argentina
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Soil Conditions - Acid / ericaceous loving - - moist, humus-rich
- Growing & Caring for Ferns
- ADIANTUM Ferns
- ASPLENIUM Ferns
- ATHRIUM Ferns
- BLECHNUM Ferns
- DRYOPTERIS Ferns
- MATTEUCCIA Ferns
- OSMUNDA Ferns
- POLYSTICHUM Ferns
- Tidying Deciduous Ferns for Winter
- Caring for ferns - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tidying Ferns - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How do ferns reproduce - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Gymnosperms and angiosperms - Video Tip ondemand_video