emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Funkia, Plantain lily
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Purple - Shades of purple/mauve/lilac/violet - light purple
Height - 1m (3ft)
Spread - 1.2m (4ft)
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump forming perennial. Heart-shaped to rounded, cupped, puckered, thick leaves 25-50cm (10-20in) long. Flowers are produced on leafy scapes 1m (3ft) long and fade to almost white.
Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - a great delicacy for slugs and snails! Vine weevil in pot grown plants. Possibly virus infections
Place of origin - Japan
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Leaf Colour (if not green) - Blue -
Seasonal Interest - Summer -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - shelter from cold dry winds. Will not tolerate drought.Mulch annually in spring to keep in moisture
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video