emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Lavender
Timeless favourites which bring to mind the perfect cottage garden, butterfles and bees, and summery clumps of purple lavender.
"English lavender" is generally used to describe L. angustifolia, the hardiest species. The name is shared with the hybrid L. angustifolia x L. latifolia (spike lavender).
L. stoechas (French lavender), pedunculata cultivars and other hybrids are less hardy and can suffer in hard winters.
Genus of about 23 species of aromatic, evergreen shrubs and subshrubs from dry, sunny, exposed rocky habitats from the Canary Islands, the Mediterranean (English lavender) and northeastern Africa to southwestern Asia and India.
Leaves and flower heads, when harvested before fully open, are dried and used in pot-pourri.
Many species have a very high nectar content making them particularly attractive to bees.
All are suitable for containers where the environment can be controlled to suit less hardy varieties.
- Attract Bees: Bee loving herbaceous perennials
- Attract Bees: Bee loving trees and shrubs
- Attract Butterflies: Butterfly loving herbaceous perennials
- Pink and Purple Combo's: Combo 101
- Pink and Purple Combo's: Combo 102
- Plants for specific locations: Coastal and Windswept Locations – Coastal Plants
- Purple and Blue Combo's: Combo 094
- Plants beginning with 'L'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Evergreen - aromatic shrubs
Additional Features - Good to know - wildlife plant. Bees, butterflies. Many have high nectar content. Cut before flowers open if drying.
Pests & Diseases - frog hoppers, grey mould, honey fungus.
Place of origin - Canary Islands, Mediterranean, northeastern Africa to southern Asia.
Garden Location/Conditions - Coastal / windswept
Scented Plants - Scented flowers
Soil Conditions - Medium to light, fertile, well drained soil
Wildlife - Bee friendly
- Lavender Care
- Harvesting for drying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning French Lavender - Video Tip ondemand_video
- General dead-heading of Lavender - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video