emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Culinary apple, Dessert apple
Cultivated apples, Malus domestica are the descendants of M. sieversii which still flourishes whence it originates in the mountains of Kazakhstan.
Cherished through millenia, and the source of countless myths, it is the most versatile of all tree fruits.
Fruit - Plants which produce an edible or ornamental fruit
Zero Rated Item - No VAT on this plant
Additional Features - Good to know - good wildlife plant. Insects (pollination). Birds. Ornamental Malus (crabapples) can act as pollinators if in flower at the same time.
Medicinal properties - claimed to be many and varied, from improving endurance in athletes to prevention of prostate problems.
Pests & Diseases - conscientious management required for lasting results. Aphids, weevils, sawfly, codling moth, winter moth, mildew, canker, scab, bitter pit, brown rot.
Place of origin - from Malus sieversii (central Asia) and, possibly. Malus sylvestris (Europe).
Wildlife - Bee friendly
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video