emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
MAGNOLIA sprengeri 'Westonbirt'
Height - 8m (26ft)
Spread - 6m (20ft)
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Full sun - shelter from strong winds
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot
Place of origin - garden origin.
Burncoose Specialities - Magnolias - larger gardens -
Core Plants - Magnolia -
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Leaf margin - Entire - see photos above
Leaf shape - Obovate - see photos above
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
- Cultivation of Magnolias
- Pruning Magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning shoots on grafted rootstock - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning small & large shoots below the graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning & Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Locations
- Planting a magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scraping deadwood to see if alive - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Magnolia Slug Protection - Short Video Tip ondemand_video
- Slug Protection - Longer Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scale Insect on Magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading