- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Sweet box
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Narrowly lance-shaped, finely-tapered leaves to 14cm (5½in) long, dark-green above, paler beneath.
Medium shrub Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Thicket-forming shrub with erect shoots. Produces spikes of of flowers to 1.5cm (½in) long followed by ovoid purple fruit to 1cm (½in) long
Hardy - cold winter Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Will tolerate full sun if soil remains moist
Shelter from cold winds
Berries These plants have berries.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
Afghanistan to Nepal
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Entire see photos above
Lanceolate see photos above
Pruning group 5
Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Scented flowers - faintly scented
Fertile moist well-drained soil - moderately fertile. Humus rich