emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Japanese snowbell
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - oblong, glossy, mid- to dark-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long turning yellow or red in autumn
White - sometimes tinged pink
Height - 10m (33ft)
Spread - 8m (26ft)
Tree - spreading tree. Produces flowers singly or in clusters of 3-6 along the undersides of the branches.
Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - can be pruned after flowering to restrict size
Ornamental bark - on older branches the bark splits to reveal orange inner bark providing winter interest
Pests & Diseases - trouble free
Place of origin - China, Korea, Japan
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Flower Shape - Bell/Lantern - - bell-shaped flowers 1.5cm (½in) long
Garden Location/Conditions - Suitable for small gardens - Suitable for small gardens
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Styrax japonicus ‘Emerald Pagoda’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Styrax japonicus ‘Pendulus’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video