emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Speedwell
Genus of about 250 species of annuals, perennials and mostly deciduous subshrubs, some of them rhizomatous. Also includes some marginal aquatics.
They are found in swamps and moist meadows and grassland or in open woodland to dry, sunny meadows, rocky hills and scree, mainly in Europe.
There are 15 or more species native to the UK, plus a couple of introductions which are spreading.
Includes common speedwell, V. officinalis, used historically for a variety of complaints, brooklime, V. beccabunga, an aquatic and V. spicata, the very rare spiked speedwell.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - annuals, perennials and mostly deciduous subshrubs
Full sun - or partial shade
Additional Features - Pests & Diseases - - leaf spot, powdery and downy mildew
Place of origin - Europe
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - loamy soil preferred
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video