- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Elephant's ears, Megasea
Genus of 13 species of clump-forming, evergreen perennials in the Saxifrage family from meadows, rocky moorland and moist woodland in central and eastern Asia.
They are tough plants, tolerant of extremes of temperature.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Clump-forming perennials.
Additional FeaturesGood to knowNamed for Karl August von Bergen, 18th century botanist. Most dislike extremes of heat and drought but will tolerate exposure and poorer soils which can enhance their winter leaf colour.Pests & DiseasesSlugs, snails, caterpillars, vine weevil, leaf spot.Place of originCentral and eastern Asia.
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilHumus-rich.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of BERGENIA
('Evening Glow') - dark red semi-double flowers
white flowers with a hint of pink
dark lilac red flowers
white flowers with slight pink tinge from deep pink calyces
('Morning Red') - dark, purple red
magenta-red flowers on scarlet stems in spring. Evergreen leaves
('Silver Light') - white flowers changing to soft pink
deep pink flowers, leaves reddish in winter