- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Bowkeria - Growing Guide
This is a rare plant in cultivation which we first saw growing outside and flowering as a large spreading shrub some 6ft tall with a similar spread at Ventnor Botanic Gardens. It is now something which we grow outside as well and rate highly for its large pure vivid white clusters of calceolaria shaped (nearly ‘lobster claw’) flowers which appear in August. Certainly you can have some fun with gardening experts who have never before seen this lovely evergreen shrub.
It is a plant of South African origin which is definitely a greenhouse plant apart from the milder parts of southern and western England. It likes full sun and enjoys dry conditions and poorish soil. Coastal locations like Ventnor are perfect but a sunny spot in a walled garden is well worth a try.
This plant will produce its first flowers only a year on from being propagated from cuttings.
One for the connoisseur!