emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Chilean fire bush
Can be trained in to a decorative arch.
Genus of 8 species of evergreen trees and shrubs from forest in the central and southern Andes of South America.
In the protea family so avoid phosphates. Grow in poor soil and enjoy the fiery flowers in summer.
Evergreen - trees and shrubs Leaves are lance-shaped to elliptic or oblong, and leathery.
Tree - flowers split into 4 recurved and coiling, narrow, twisted lobes.
Full sun - shelter from cold winds.
Additional Features - Good to know - - grown for their showy, tubular, waxy flowers. Good for a sheltered woodland garden.
Pests & Diseases - red spider mites in greenhouse possibly.
Place of origin - South America (central and southern Andes).
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich.
Neutral to acid soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video