emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Genus of about 10 species of deciduous shrubs and trees from woodlands, woodland margins and rocky hillsides in the Mediterranean, central and eastern Asia and North America.
The most common is C. siliquastrum, Judas tree - or more likely Judea's tree (where it is commonplace). An absolute eyecatcher when flowers appear from an old trunk.
Deciduous - alternate, heart-shaped leaves.
Tall Shrub - pea-like flowers in stalkless clusters on previous year's or years' wood.
Partial shade - dappled shade.
Additional Features - Good to know - larger species make excellent specimen plants.
Pests & Diseases - leafhoppers, scale insects, canker, coral spot, Verticillium wilt.
Place of origin - Mediterranean, central and eastern Asia, North America.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - loamy. Does not like to be transplanted.
Wildlife - Bee friendly
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video