emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
THE NURSERY & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 06/4/20 13:35.
Commonly known as Fir
Abies, Silver Fir, is a genus of about 50 species from Europe, northern Africa, Asia and North America, dominating their northern and mountainous regions.
All make good shelter breaks and screening and attractive specimen trees.
Contains two contenders for best Christmas tree in the Nordmann fir, A. nordmanniana and, increasing in popularity, the American Fraser fir A. fraseri
Evergreen - flattened mid- to dark-green leaves, often with 2 longitudinal silver bands beneath.
Full sun - will tolerate shade.Shelter from cold drying winds.
Additional Features - Good to know - female cones are often purplish-blue, erect and produced on the upper branches. Males are pendent, green when young turning purplish brown and produced throughout the crown.
Pests & Diseases - adelgids, honey fungus.
Place of origin - Europe, northern Africa, Asia, North America.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil
Neutral to acid soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video