emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Avens
Easily grown and suited to naturalistic plantings.
Genus of about 50 species of rhizomatous, occasionall stoloniferous perennials from mountainous habitats, streamsides, moist meadows and woodland in arctic and temperate regions of Europe, Asia, New Zealand, North and South America and Africa.
UK natives are G. rivale. water avens or Billy's button, the names more attractive than the flower which is of a rather subtle colour and wood avens or herb bennet, G. urbanum. When they occur together a hybrid is easily formed, G x intermedium carrying the yellow flowers of herb bennet.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - rhizomatous perennials. Erect, 5-petalled, solitary flowers in shades of cream, yellow, pink or red
Additional Features - Good to know - - includes the British native water avens (rivulare). Wildlife plant - bees, hoverflies. Deadheading will prolong flower production.
Pests & Diseases - sawfly larvae may cause damage to leaves
Place of origin - arctic and temperate regions of Europe, Asia, New Zealand, North and South America, Africa.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus-rich. Rivale and its cultivars
Fertile well drained soil
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video