- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Genus of about 200 species of rosette-forming, perennial or monocarpic succulents from desert and mountain regions of North, Central and South America and the West Indies.
In most species the rosettes die after flowering and fruiting leaving offsets.
Flowers, leaves, stalks and sap are all edible. The sap has been used for various alcoholic drinks, the most well-known being tequila ,and the plant also provided paper and rope from its fibres.
Rosette-forming perennial or monocarpic succulents with often rigid and fleshy leaves with sharp terminal spines and toothed margins.
Good to know - can take many years to flower. Rosette dies after flowering but leaves offshoots.
Pests & Diseases
scale insects especially on new growth.
Place of origin
North, Central and South America, West Indies.
Patio / pot plants
Neutral to acid soil
Well drained, dry, poor to moderately fertile soil
under glass use cactus compost - full light.
Buy Varieties of AGAVE
Large architectural grey leaves with spines, suitable for sheltered hot dry sunny locations
Stiff, narrow, flexible leaves, dark green in colour. Flowers formed in pairs
A startling new introduction with green and predominantly cream leaves tinged an attractive pink