- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- April 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Genus of 10-15 species of evergreen trees and shrubs in the tea family with attractive, spirally arranged leaves and fragrant flowers.
Tree - or tall shrub.
Will grow outside in milder locations - This could include plants which would survive happily in a greenhouse or conservatory if not in a mild location. If you have a sheltered spot in your garden then it may do well here.
Full sun - with midday shade. Shelter from cold, drying winds.
Additional Features - Good to know - grown for its foliage form and camellia-like flowers.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of origin - southwestern China, eastern Himalayas to southeastern Asia.
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Is Scented Plant - Scented flowers
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video