emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Genus of 10 species of deciduous trees from Eastern Asia and North America usually found on riverbanks and woodland.
The bean-like seed pod gives it the name Indian bean tree.
Deciduous - large leaves, sometimes in whorls of three.
Tree - the wide, spreading habit and conspicuous flower panicles are seen to best effect as specimen trees. Decorative, narrow, cylindrical seedpods.
Full sun - shelter from strong winds, and young plants from severe frosts.
Additional Features - Good to know - pollard or stool foliage varieties to obtain larger leaves. Large, bell-shaped, 2-lipped flowers.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of origin - North America, eastern Asia.
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video