emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
THE NURSERY & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 06/4/20 13:35.
Commonly known as Hornbeam
Attractive specimen trees. Hardier than beech and tolerates wet soil much better.
Hornbeams yield very hard timber which is difficult to work. Long-lasting items such as tool handles, coach wheels, shoe lasts and gear pegs for windmills have been worked from this "ironwood".
Genus of about 40 species of deciduous trees from woodland in Europe, Asia and North America.
The UK native C. betulus, most common in the southeast, and rare in Scotland and Ireland, is favoured by the elusive hawfinch which is fond of the seeds which fall from October.
Deciduous - alternate, prominently-veined, toothed leaves.
Tree - grown for its elegant habit, ornamental foliage, autumn colour and pendent racemes of fruit. Male and female catkins on same tree in spring.
Additional Features - Good to know - attractive specimen trees and excellent for hedging.
Pests & Diseases - caterpillars, aphids, coral spot.
Place of origin - Europe, Asia, North America.
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video