- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Plumed thistle, Thistle
Genus of about 200 species of biennial and perennial plume thistles, mostly considered as weeds, from a variety of habitats throughout northern temperate regions.
Some are invasive spreading by means of rhizomes or by windblown seeds.
All are important wildlife plants for insects and birds. Of the 9 or so species native to the UK the most common are Creeping, arvense and Spear, vulgare.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Biennials and perennials. Spiny leaves and heads of tubular purple, red, yellow or white flowers.
Additional FeaturesGood to knowWildlife plant - insects, birds.Pests & Diseasesmildew.Place of originVariety of locations in northern temperate regions.
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CIRSIUM
white flowers with pink tips. Unusual
tall, deep crimson thistle knobs held over a rosette of foliage over a very long season
stiff upright habit and white thistle flowers