emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Plumed thistle, Thistle
Genus of about 200 species of biennial and perennial plume thistles, mostly considered as weeds, from a variety of habitats throughout northern temperate regions.
Some are invasive spreading by means of rhizomes or by windblown seeds.
All are important wildlife plants for insects and birds. Of the 9 or so species native to the UK the most common are Creeping, arvense and Spear, vulgare.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - biennials and perennials. Spiny leaves and heads of tubular purple, red, yellow or white flowers.
Additional Features - Good to know - - wildlife plant - insects, birds.
Pests & Diseases - mildew.
Place of origin - variety of locations in northern temperate regions.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video