- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
DeciduousOpposite, oval, matt, dark green leaves to 8cm (3in) long, often turning purple in autumn.
Shades of pinkAll shades of pink through to Carmine (red)Pale pink
Medium shrubTypically grow to around 4-6 feet in heightOpen, spreading shrub. Produces small, 4-petalled flowers in long axillary racemes.
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
ABELIOPHYLLUM distichum 'Roseum'
Additional FeaturesGood to knowCan grow taller when trained against a wall.Pests & DiseasesNone.Place of originKorea.Resistant to honey fungusThese plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 4Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7Pruning group 8Suitable for: Wall trained shrubs and less vigorous climbers.
Action: For climbers 'spur prune' by cutting back 3-4 buds of the permanent framework. For wall trained shrubs cut back flowered shoots to within 2-4 buds of permanent framework.
When: Annually after flowers if on previous year's growth, or in late Winter or Spring if on current year's growth.
RHS group 12 & 13If wall-trained
Scented PlantsScented flowers
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video