emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Vast selection of easy-to-grow shrubs ranging from prostrate ground huggers to the magnificent "Cornubia" and frigidus with yellow or red berries.
Genus of more than 400 species of deciduous, semi-evergreen and evergreen shrubs and trees from woodland and rocky areas in northern temperate regions of Europe, Asia and northern Africa.
A UK (Wales) native, the critically endangered C. cambricus, is at present struggling for existence at Great Orme.
Very useful as a source of nectar for bees in the "June gap".
Semi-evergreen - Keeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well.
Dwarf shrub - Typically only grows to a maximum of one or two feet in height but there will be some exceptions.
Ground cover - These plants are typically low growing and spread quickly to inhibit weed growth on areas of bare soil
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Full sun - shelter from cold winds. Deciduous species prefer sun. Dwarf evergreen species fruit best in full sun.
Partial shade - larger and medium evergreen species thrive in sun or partial shade.
Additional Features - Good to know - - a shrub with a species for every situation. Wildlife plant - insects for the sweetly scented flowers and birds for the berries..
Pests & Diseases - aphids. woolly aphids, webber moth caterpillars, scale insects, fireblight, honey fungus.
Place of origin - northern temperate regions of Europe, Asia and North America.
Soil Conditions - Alkaline / Chalk loving -
Fertile well drained soil - will tolerate a dry position.
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video