- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Evergreen Sale 25% off
- Seasonal Sale 20% off
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess'
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose'
- Camellia 'Yuletide' Save £6.00
- Camellia - Save £12.00
- Camellia - Save £5.00
- Free Border Design Service
- Ready Made Borders
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2023
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenLeathery, mid-green leaves to 15cm (6in) long.
ClimberSome of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clingingWoody climber clinging by aerial roots. Flowers in domed corymbs to 15cm (6in) across.
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winterHardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Full sunShelter from cold winds
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesPests & DiseasesRed spider mites, scale insects, vine weevils, capsid bugs, grey mould(Botrytis), hydrangea virus, powdery mildew, leaf spot, honey fungus.Place of originMexico
HardinessFrost hardy (down to -5)
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Lanceolate (see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 6Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs or climbers that need little to no pruning.
Action: Trim back shoots that spoil symmetry and to fit available space.
When: Annually after flowering if on previous year's growth, or in later Winter or Spring if flowering on current year's growth, or as requires.
RHS group 9 & 11
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilHumus-rich
Toxic - Category CMay cause skin allergy(People & Pets) Maybe harmful to pets if eaten
- Hydrangeas for everyone!
- Quick tour of hydrangea stocked - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil & Feeding
- Pruning Hydrangeas
- Pruning Hydrangeas - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Hydrangeas, keeping them blue - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Drying Flower Heads
- Drying hydrangea flower heads - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Popular Mopheads & Lacecaps
- Hydrangeas and other plants
- Further Reading