emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Apple, Crab apple
A RIOT of blossom, sometimes scented, in spring, jewel-like fruit in profusion and vibrant autumnal leaf colour. Natural source of pectin for jams and jellies. Universal pollinator for domestic apples. Sweetly scented firewood at the end of its days.
Genus of about 35 species of deciduous trees and shrubs from woodland and thickets in Europe, Asia and North America.
Deciduous - leaves are alternate, oval to elliptic, mostly toothed, sometimes lobed.
Fruit - Plants which produce an edible or ornamental fruit - attractive ornamental fruit is inedible. It is a rich source of pectin and makesa popular jelly.
Zero Rated Item - No VAT on this plant
Partial shade - tolerated but full sun preferred.
Additional Features - Good to know - - typically small trees 4-12m (12-40ft) with twiggy crowns. Grown for their flowers, fruit and colourful foliage. Wildlife plant - main pollinators are bees. Long-lasting fruit is a feast for birds in winter.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, red spider mite, caterpillars, apple-scab, honey fungus, canker, mildew
Place of origin - Europe, Asia, North America
Flower Shape - Cup-shaped - - usually shallowly cup-shaped with 5 petals.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - moderately fertile preferred.
Tree Shape - Broadly conical -
Rounded to broadly spreading
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video