- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Apple, Crab apple
A RIOT of blossom, sometimes scented, in spring, jewel-like fruit in profusion and vibrant autumnal leaf colour. Natural source of pectin for jams and jellies. Universal pollinator for domestic apples. Sweetly scented firewood at the end of its days.
Genus of about 35 species of deciduous trees and shrubs from woodland and thickets in Europe, Asia and North America.
DeciduousLeaves are alternate, oval to elliptic, mostly toothed, sometimes lobed.
FruitPlants which produce an edible or ornamental fruitAttractive ornamental fruit is inedible. It is a rich source of pectin and makesa popular jelly.
Zero Rated ItemNo VAT on this plant
Partial shadeTolerated but full sun preferred.
Additional FeaturesGood to knowTypically small trees 4-12m (12-40ft) with twiggy crowns. Grown for their flowers, fruit and colourful foliage. Wildlife plant - main pollinators are bees. Long-lasting fruit is a feast for birds in winter.Pests & DiseasesAphids, red spider mite, caterpillars, apple-scab, honey fungus, canker, mildewPlace of originEurope, Asia, North America
Flower ShapeCup-shapedUsually shallowly cup-shaped with 5 petals.
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilModerately fertile preferred.
Tree ShapeBroadly conicalRounded to broadly spreading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of MALUS
white flowers from pink buds. In autumn, golden yellow, slightly pointed fruits
a spectacular North American purple leaved tree whose dark purple leaves turn a stunning orange-red in autumn. Fragrant single pink flowers
a profusion of bright yellow crab apples which remain on the tree long after the leaves have dropped
spreading crabapple with fragrant white flowers and cherry-like fruit
the best fruiting crab apple with white flowers and bright orange fruit
dark reddish flowers and bronzy purple leaves. Dark purple fruit
drooping branches with purple flowers
an excellent fruiting tree with white flowers and large clusters of deep red fruits
glossy dark purple leaves turning red in autumn. Crimson-purple flowers, dark red fruits