emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Paeony, Peony
Genus of about 30 species of clump-forming herbaceous perennials, and deciduous and sometimes suckering subshrubs known generally as tree peonies. These have woody stems with lax branches with some species reaching 2.5m (8ft) in height. Herbaceous peonies have attractive large dissected leaves and flowers are large, sometimes very showy and fragrant in some varieties though the flowering period, in early summer, is short-lived at 7-10 days. Outrageously beautiful is a description commonly applied. Although said to resent disturbance, careful handling should not cause a setback.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Medium shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Harmful if eaten - These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these. - all parts can cause mild stomach upset.
Additional Features - Good to know - long-lived but resent disturbance. Grown for their large, brightly-coloured flowers and bold dissected leaves.
Pests & Diseases - eelworms, viruses, peony grey mould blight (peony wilt). Honey fungus.
Place of origin - western North America and Europe to eastern Asia.
Is Scented Plant - Scented flowers - some scented.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - prefers deep, humus-rich soil.
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video