- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- 40 years at Burncoose
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as Paeony, Peony
Genus of about 30 species of clump-forming herbaceous perennials, and deciduous and sometimes suckering subshrubs known generally as tree peonies. These have woody stems with lax branches with some species reaching 2.5m (8ft) in height. Herbaceous peonies have attractive large dissected leaves and flowers are large, sometimes very showy and fragrant in some varieties though the flowering period, in early summer, is short-lived at 7-10 days. Outrageously beautiful is a description commonly applied. Although said to resent disturbance, careful handling should not cause a setback.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Medium shrubTypically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Additional FeaturesGood to knowLong-lived but resent disturbance. Grown for their large, brightly-coloured flowers and bold dissected leaves.Place of originWestern North America and Europe to eastern Asia.
Scented PlantsScented flowersSome scented.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of PAEONIA
(lutea var ludowii) - single yellow tree paeony
a beautiful species with very large single pale flesh-pink flowers marked at the base with a maroon splash
rosy pink double
rose with yellow stamens
perennial herbaceous peony, varying in colour from white, pink to yellow
creamy-white double yellow heart
fragrant double magenta flowers.