- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Squill
The squills. Can be naturalized under trees and shrubs and in grass.
Genus of about 90 species of bulbous perennials found in a wide range of habitats including subalpine meadows, rocky slopes, woodland and sea shores in Europe, southern Africa and Asia.
The epithet "peruviana" was born of confusion. This western Mediterranean bulb was transported on a ship named "Peru", certainly not from South America.
The carpets of blue seen particularly on western coastal slopes are S. verna, the spring squill. The more uncommon autumn squill, S. autumnalis is also found on dry grasland near the sea in the south of England.
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Perennials
Additional FeaturesGood to knowCan be naturalised under trees and shrubs or grown in an alpine house.Pests & DiseasesSusceptible to virusesPlace of originEurope, South Africa, Asia
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soilHumus-rich
Toxic - Category CHarmful if eaten(People & Pets)
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of SCILLA
large heads of blue flowers