- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2019
- Seasonal Sale - 20% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Masterwort
Genus of about 10 species of clump-forming perennials from alpine woods and meadows from Europe to western Asia.
One of the many worts (signifies used in food or medicine).
The pincushion flowers can be used in dried flower arrangements.
A. major is naturalised in a few areas of the UK.
Good to know - known, historically, as 'Hattie's pincushion'
Pests & Diseases - slugs, aphids, powdery mildew.
Place of Origin - Europe to western Asia.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump- forming perennials. Small, 5-petalled flowers surrounded by showy, papery bracts.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus rich
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video