- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- July 2018
- Non-Herbaceous Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Rhododendron Summer Sale - 3 for £39.00
- Rhododendron Summer Sale - £17.00 each saving £5
- The Cornish Coastal Collection
- Herbaceous summer special - Any 3 for £21.00 saving up to £22.00
- Herbaceous summer special - £7.50 for single plants saving up to £7.50
- The Ready-Made Yellow flowering Border
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Wisteria
Genus of about 10 species of twining, woody, deciduous climbers found in moist woodland and on streamsides in China, Korea, Japan and central and southern USA.
When viewed from above Japanese wisteria twines clockwise, Chinese wisteria counter clockwise.
Good to know - grown for pea-like, fragrant flowers and bean-like pods. If grown into a tree needs no training. Stems twine anticlockwise around the support.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, brown scale, leaf spot, honey fungus.
Place of Origin - China, Korea, Japan, central and southern USA.
Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging
Deciduous - pinnate, dark-green leaves to 35cm (14in) long.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Harmful if eaten - These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these.