- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Hornbeam
Attractive specimen trees. Hardier than beech and tolerates wet soil much better.
Hornbeams yield very hard timber which is difficult to work. Long-lasting items such as tool handles, coach wheels, shoe lasts and gear pegs for windmills have been worked from this "ironwood".
Genus of about 40 species of deciduous trees from woodland in Europe, Asia and North America.
The UK native C. betulus, most common in the southeast, and rare in Scotland and Ireland, is favoured by the elusive hawfinch which is fond of the seeds which fall from October.
DeciduousAlternate, prominently-veined, toothed leaves.
TreeGrown for its elegant habit, ornamental foliage, autumn colour and pendent racemes of fruit. Male and female catkins on same tree in spring.
Additional FeaturesGood to knowAttractive specimen trees and excellent for hedging.Pests & Diseasescaterpillars, aphids, coral spot.Place of originEurope, Asia, North America.
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CARPINUS
upright columnar growing form
excellent autumn colour in fiery orange and red
perhaps the most striking and unusual of all hornbeams which is a serious 'must have' for any collector. Bronze young leaves and long clusters of fruits with toothed bracts
wide branching and beautiful tree with corrugated leaves and prominent catkins
small tree in cultivation. Serrated leaves and long catkins
reddish-purple new growth of willow-like appearance. Strongly veined leaves with long pinted tips