- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- April 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Kaffir Lily
Hesperantha, the new Schizostylis. S. coccinea, which is also a semi-aquatic plant, is now included in this genus.
Genus of 82 species of cormous perennials growing in rock and sandy areas from South Africa to Ethiopia.
Semi-evergreen - Keeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well. - linear to lance-shaped, grass-like foliage
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial - cormous perennial
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F) - protect with a dry winter mulch in frost-prone areas
Additional Features - Good to know - increase by separating offsets when dormant
Pests & Diseases - none
Place of origin - South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video