emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Poet's laurel, Sweet bay, True laurel
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Evergreen - narrowly ovate, glossy, dark-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long.
Yellow - greenish-yellow
Height - 12m (39ft)
Spread - 10m (33ft)
Tree - or large shrub. Produces flowers 5mm (¼in) across followed by black berries.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
Additional Features - Good to know - - the laurel wreath of ancient Greece. Wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects.
Medicinal properties - many medicinal uses including as a digestive aid, for reducing flatulence and the berries have even been used to(supposedly) cure baldness
Pests & Diseases - scale insects, tortrix moth caterpillars, powdery mildew, leaf spot.
Place of origin - Mediterranean.
Garden Location/Conditions - Coastal / windswept - - slightly back from the sea with more shelter
Hardiness - Frost hardy (down to -5) -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented Plants - Scented foliage - - aromatic foliage.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - shelter from cold winds
Tree Shape - Broadly conical -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video