- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Blackthorn, Sloe
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
mid- to deep-green leaves to 5cm (2in) long.
Hedge Ideal for hedging
Dense, bushy, spiny shrub or small tree. Produces solitary, rarely paired, flowers to 1.5cm (½in) across before the leaves. Glaucous black fruit to fruit to 1.5cm (½in) across.
Hardy - very cold winter Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Good to know - UK native. Wildlife plant - nectar for insects, nesting site for birds. Suckers freely. Traditional wood for the Irish shillelagh. The fruit for sloe gin.
Pests & Diseases
Place of origin
Europe to Russia (western Siberia), Mediterranean
Coastal / windswept
Serrulate see photos above
Elliptic see photos above
Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Fertile moist well-drained soil - moderately fertile
Rounded to broadly spreading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Clearing up fallen beech tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning and Shaping Magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing wire protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video