- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- April 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Rowan
Genus of about 100 species of deciduous trees and shrubs, widely distributed in the northern hemisphere.
Vast range of attractive cultivars, most suited to small to average gardens and ideal in woodland settings. Includes the natives Mountain ash, aucuparia, the Whitebeam, aria and Wild service, torminalis.
All are valued for leaf shape, flowers, berries and their benefit to insects and birds. Tolerant of atmospheric pollution.
Dwarf shrub - Typically only grows to a maximum of one or two feet in height but there will be some exceptions.
Partial shade - light, dappled shade
Additional Features - Good to know - grown for ornamental leaves, large heads of flowers and berries which can be coloured white, yellow, orange, red or brown. Ideal specimen tree in a small garden. Wildlife plant - insects, birds.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, sawfly larva, canker, honey fungus, fireblight.
Place of origin - widely distributed in northern temperate regions
Is Scented Plant - Scented flowers - musk-scented, best appreciated from a distance.
Soil Conditions - Neutral to acid soil
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video