emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
SORBUS 'Joseph Rock'
Commonly known as Rowan
Deciduous - pinnate leaves to 15cm (6in) long, composed of up to 21 narrowly oblong, sharply-toothed, bright-green leaflets. Autumn colour of orange, red and purple.
Height - 10m (33ft)
Spread - 7m (22ft)
Tree - broadly upright tree. Produces flowers in flat-topped clusters 10cm (4in) across. Yellow berries turn orange-yellow with age.
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Partial shade - light, dappled shade
Additional Features - Berries - These plants have berries.
Good to know - prone to fireblight. Wildlife plant - flowers attract flies, bees and beetles.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, sawfly larva, canker, honey fungus, fireblight.
Place of origin - from a seed collected in northwestern Yunnan, China, in 1932 by plant collecter Joseph Rock.
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Seasonal Interest - Autumn -
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil - - moderately fertile. Humus-rich
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly columnar -
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- Allergic reactions and pollen
- Plants which produce masses of pollen - to avoid
- Plants producing little pollen - relatively safe!
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video