- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- April 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Elephant's ears, Megasea
Genus of 13 species of clump-forming, evergreen perennials in the Saxifrage family from meadows, rocky moorland and moist woodland in central and eastern Asia.
They are tough plants, tolerant of extremes of temperature.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump-forming perennials.
Additional Features - Good to know - named for Karl August von Bergen, 18th century botanist. Most dislike extremes of heat and drought but will tolerate exposure and poorer soils which can enhance their winter leaf colour.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, caterpillars, vine weevil, leaf spot.
Place of origin - central and eastern Asia.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video