emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Deciduous - dark green leaves 12-15cm (4¾-6in) long, emerging bronze.
Shades of pink - All shades of pink through to Carmine (red) - light pink to white
Height - 4-5m (13-16ft)
Spread - 6-8m (20-26ft)
Tree - wide-spreading tree with few side branches. Produces drooping clusters of 4-6 pink flowers 4.5cm (2in across) before the leaves
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Additional Features - Good to know - - fringed blossoms giving fluffy appearance
Pests & Diseases - aphids, caterpillars, bullfinches. Silver leaf, honey fungus, blossom wilt, bacterial canker
Place of origin - Japan. Garden origin
Flower Shape - Semi-double - Two rows of petals with conspicuous stamens
Hardiness - Fully hardy -
Leaf margin - Serrulate - see photos above
Leaf shape - Elliptic - see photos above
Pruning group - Pruning group 1
Suitable for: Deciduous and evergreen trees, and some deciduous shrubs.
Pruning: Minimal pruning required. Prune wayward or crossing branches to maintain a healthy framework.
When: When dormant in the late winter/early spring. Some in the summer/autumn to prevent bleeding of sap.
RHS group 1
Scented Plants - Scented flowers -
Seasonal Interest - Spring -
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - moderately fertile
Tree Shape - Rounded to broadly spreading -
Wildlife - Rabbit Resistant -
- Pruning overlapping branches - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning drooping branches - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Prunus 'Okame', 'Kursar' & conradinae - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video