- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenGlossy, dark green leaves 5-12cm (2-5in) long
PurpleShades of purple/mauve/lilac/violetLight violet
Medium shrubTypically grow to around 4-6 feet in heightCompact shrub. Produces flowers to 9cm (3½in) across
Hardy - very cold winterHardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesGood to knowShallow planting is essential.Pests & DiseasesVine weevil, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blastPlace of originGarden origin. H. Hachmann, Germany, 2005
(see photos above)
(see photos above)
Pruning groupPruning group 5Suitable for: Evergreen shrubs that require minimal pruning.
Action: Trim or lightly cut back shoots that spoil symmetry. Deadhead regularly.
When: Annually after flowering.
RHS group 8
Soil ConditionsAcid / ericaceous lovingIdeally pH 4.5-6.0Fertile moist well-drained soilHumus-richNeutral to acid soil
Toxic - Category CHarmful if eaten(People & Pets)
- R. augustinii, edgeworthii x leucaspis, 'Anne Teese', loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron cilpinense - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron decorum (pink form) - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron genestrianum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Five late flowering rhodies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. loderi 'King George' - Video Tip ondemand_video
- R. niveum - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron ‘Pink Polar Bear’ - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Scented Rhododendrons - Video Tip ondemand_video