- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Plant Finder
- Rare Plant List
- March 2019
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- New plants in 2019
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Terms and Conditions
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Imposing, architectural, edible (in parts), decorative dried and a valuable wildlife plant.
Scolymus Group are the vegetable Globe Artichoke.
Genus of about 8 species of clump-forming perennials from well-drained, sunny slopes and grassland in the Mediterranean region, northwestern Africa and the Canary Islands.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump forming thistle-like perennials. Imposing plants with silvery leaves and tall, spherical flowerheads.
Full sun - shelter from strong winds
Additional Features - Good to know - wildlife plant - bees. For best foliage effect remove flowering stems as they appear.
Medicinal Properties - widely used in gastronomy.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, aphids, grey mould.
Place of Origin - Mediterranean, northwestern Africa, Canary Islands.
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil
Wildlife - Bee friendly
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video