- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Red hot poker, Torch lily, Tritoma
Expanding range of showy pokers for growing in nature-friendly clumps.
Many hybrids have been toned down over time from the original "red hot pokers" and now come in shades of red, orange, yellow, and greenish white.
Genus of about 70 species of evergreen or semi-evergreen rhizomatous perennials from mountainous or upland areas, often in moist places in rough grass or along streamsides in southern and tropical Africa, Madagascar and Arabia.
DeciduousLeaves usually thin, grass-like,10-100cm (3-39in) long.
EvergreenLeaves usually broad, keeled or strap-shaped to 1.5m (5ft) long.
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennialRhizomatous perennials. Erect, usually dense, spike-like racemes 5-40cm (2-16in) long of tubular or cylindrical flowers.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Additional FeaturesGood to knowWildlife plant. Attractive to bees.Pests & DiseasesSlugs, snails, thrips, violet root.Place of originSouthern and tropical Africa.
Soil ConditionsFertile moist well-drained soilHumus rich, preferably sandy.
WildlifeBee friendlyRabbit Resistant
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of KNIPHOFIA
dense narrow yellow flowers from green buds. Easy to grow
flowers are green in bud opening to an unusual creamy-white colour
a very nearly white cultivar. Pale cream flowers from green buds. Ages to white
pale lemon flower spike about 18 inches tall
a short growing variety less than 2 feet tall with dusky deep coral-red flowers
dwarf poker with deep-orange flowers
orange-red spherical flowers becoming orange-yellow
red/yellow flower spike
red buds opening to yellow
tall growing with long greenish-yellow spikes initially light orange as the flowers open. An unusual colour combination
dark bronze stems and tubular cream flowers above evergreen strap-like leaves
cream flushed carmine