- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Imposing, architectural, edible (in parts), decorative dried and a valuable wildlife plant.
Scolymus Group are the vegetable Globe Artichoke.
Genus of about 8 species of clump-forming perennials from well-drained, sunny slopes and grassland in the Mediterranean region, northwestern Africa and the Canary Islands.
HerbaceousEarly in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.Clump forming thistle-like perennials. Imposing plants with silvery leaves and tall, spherical flowerheads.
Full sunShelter from strong winds
Additional FeaturesGood to knowWildlife plant - bees. For best foliage effect remove flowering stems as they appear.Medicinal propertiesWidely used in gastronomy.Pests & DiseasesSlugs, aphids, grey mould.Place of originMediterranean, northwestern Africa, Canary Islands.
Soil ConditionsFertile well drained soil
WildlifeBee friendlyButterfly friendly
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Overpotting Problems - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of CYNARA
silvery leaved perennial with purple thistle heads and medicinal properties
handsome grey foliage with large blue thistle-like flowers