emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Hardy pink
Genus of over 300 species of low-growing, evergreen subshrubs and perennials, annuals and biennials, including D. barbatus, Sweet William.
They are found in mountains and meadows in Europe, Asia and southern Africa and found homes in thousands of English cottage gardens.
Carnations are the taller in the family with pinks smaller with fewer petals and sometimes distinctly patterned. Most are fragrant, described as "clove-scented". Cultivars bred for gardens run into the tens of thousands.
Native representatives are D. deltoides, Maiden pink, a rare flower of dry grasslands, D. gratianopolitus, the extremely rare Cheddar pink of the Gorge, the county flower of Somerset and the Deptford pink, D. armeria.
Evergreen - leaves of all species and cultivars are linear to lance-shaped, mostly pointed, blue-grey or grey-green with a waxy bloom.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - low growing, evergreen subshrubs, annuals, perennials and biennals.
Additional Features - Good to know - flowers in profusion and long-lasting when cut. Often fragrant (clove-scented).
Pests & Diseases - aphids, slugs, rust, virus diseases, Fusarium wilt.
Place of origin - Europe, Asia, southern Africa.
Garden Location/Conditions - Coastal / windswept
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil
Neutral to alkaline soil
Wildlife - Bee friendly
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video