- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Hardy pink
Genus of over 300 species of low-growing, evergreen subshrubs and perennials, annuals and biennials, including D. barbatus, Sweet William.
They are found in mountains and meadows in Europe, Asia and southern Africa and found homes in thousands of English cottage gardens.
Carnations are the taller in the family with pinks smaller with fewer petals and sometimes distinctly patterned. Most are fragrant, described as "clove-scented". Cultivars bred for gardens run into the tens of thousands.
Native representatives are D. deltoides, Maiden pink, a rare flower of dry grasslands, D. gratianopolitus, the extremely rare Cheddar pink of the Gorge, the county flower of Somerset and the Deptford pink, D. armeria.
Leaves of all species and cultivars are linear to lance-shaped, mostly pointed, blue-grey or grey-green with a waxy bloom.
Herbaceous Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Low growing, evergreen subshrubs, annuals, perennials and biennals.
Good to know - flowers in profusion and long-lasting when cut. Often fragrant (clove-scented).
Pests & Diseases
aphids, slugs, rust, virus diseases, Fusarium wilt.
Place of origin
Europe, Asia, southern Africa.
Coastal / windswept
Fertile well drained soil
Neutral to alkaline soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of DIANTHUS
Off-white with magenta eye
Light pink, salmon-pink eye, scented
White laced purple
Outstanding pure white
Double deep cherry-red, fringed petals
Ruby-red with darker eye
Pink with chestnut lacing
large double pure white flowers in profusion. It is a variety with an extremely strong scent and will develop quickly into clumps in a border or in containers
Light pink flowers laced and blotched with deep purplish-red
Old cottage white, heavily scented