- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
Offers & Promotions
- Autumn Clearance - 50% off
- Autumn Sale 25% off
- Daphne 'Spring Beauty' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Camellia - £30 SAVING £8.00
- Edgeworthia 'Red Dragon' £53.50 SAVE £6
- Ilex 'Sunny Foster' £31.50 SAVE £4
- Schefflera taiwaniana £43.50 SAVE £6
- Chimonanthus praecox - £34.50 SAVE £4
- Free Border Design Service
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden & Burncoose Tokens
- Gift Wrapping
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2020
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Lady's eardrops
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Dark-green leaves with a slight bronze sheen.
Purple Shades of purple/mauve/lilac/violet
Hedge Ideal for hedging
Medium shrub Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height
Hardy - very cold winter Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Good to know - syn. F magellanica 'Riccartonii'. Can be grown as a hedge in milder areas
Pests & Diseases
whiteflies, capsid bugs, aphids, vine weevil, red spider mites, grey mould, rust.
Place of origin
Resistant to honey fungus - These plants have little or few problems with honey fungus.
Single Row of petals round conspicuous stamens - no more than 8 petals
Coastal / windswept
Elliptic see photos above
Pruning group 4
Suitable for: Deciduous trees and shrubs that flower on current year's growth or are grown for winter stem effect.
Pruning: Hard prune to a low permanent framework.
When: Annually in early Spring.
RHS group 5, 6 & 7
Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Growing & Caring for Fuchias
- Fully hardy fuchsias as hedging or as shrubs
- Wall climbing fuchsias
- Tender conservatory fuchsias
- Hardy, colourful border fuchsias
- Hard Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Six weeks after pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fuchsia procumbens
- Propagation Fuchsia arborescens - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fuchsia Hardwood Cuttings - Video Tip ondemand_video