emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Red hot poker, Torch lily, Tritoma
Expanding range of showy pokers for growing in nature-friendly clumps.
Many hybrids have been toned down over time from the original "red hot pokers" and now come in shades of red, orange, yellow, and greenish white.
Genus of about 70 species of evergreen or semi-evergreen rhizomatous perennials from mountainous or upland areas, often in moist places in rough grass or along streamsides in southern and tropical Africa, Madagascar and Arabia.
Deciduous - leaves usually thin, grass-like,10-100cm (3-39in) long.
Evergreen - leaves usually broad, keeled or strap-shaped to 1.5m (5ft) long.
Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial - rhizomatous perennials. Erect, usually dense, spike-like racemes 5-40cm (2-16in) long of tubular or cylindrical flowers.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Additional Features - Good to know - - wildlife plant. Attractive to bees.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, thrips, violet root.
Place of origin - southern and tropical Africa.
Soil Conditions - Fertile moist well-drained soil - - humus rich, preferably sandy.
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video