- Shop Now
- Burncoose Specialities
- This Month
- Offers & Promotions
- RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2022
- Engage With Us
- Information, Help & Advice
- About Us & Our Services
- Terms & Conditions
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
EvergreenLeaves to 7cm (3in) long, white-woolly beneath.
Striped, Veined or Multicoloured
FruitPlants which produce an edible or ornamental fruit
Medium shrubTypically grow to around 4-6 feet in heightBushy shrub. Produces flowers with long, red stamens, followed in warm climates by ovoid, red-tinged, green berries 5cm (2in) long
Zero Rated ItemNo VAT on this plant
Hardy - average winterHardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Full sunSheltered spot.
- Mature Size
- Tips and Advice
- Goes Well With
- Planting Combinations
- Other Suggestions
- See Also...
Additional FeaturesPests & DiseasesNone.Place of originSouth America (Brazil, Uruguay).
Flower ShapeCup-shapedShallowly cup-shaped 4cm (1½in) across
Garden Location/ConditionsGreenhouse / conservatoryNot the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winterUse loam-based (JI No. 3) compost in full light
HardinessFrost hardy (down to -5)
(see photos above)
(see photos above)Oblong (see photos above)
Soil ConditionsMedium to light, fertile, well drained soil
- How to plant/move a shrub
- How to plant/move a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fertisiling shrubs - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Mulching - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Taking semi-ripe cuttings -Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-sown seedlings - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Trimming a shrub - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of ACCA sellowiana
smooth, dark green skin and good flavour. Self-fertile but fruits better if grown with a different variety to act as a pollinator
large regular shaped fruits with rough skin
later fruiting variety with a mild flavour