emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Please note once despatched, your delivery may take 1-3 days due to the high volume with the couriers. Your plants will be fine during this time.
Full plant information & availability is shown online.
The nursery is now open to the public between 10am and 4pm. Please follow instructions on site, card payments only, no cash. Click and collect is also available.
THE CAFE & GARDENS ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Last updated 14/05/20 10:00.
Commonly known as Bellflower
Huge range of species ranging from alpines under 5cm to woodland species at over 2m and including the native harebell and the cottage-garden Canterbury bells.
Genus of about 420 species of annuals, biennials and perennials, some evergreen. They occur widely in temperate zones of the northern hemisphere, particularly in southern Europe and Turkey.
Four natives occur. C. glomerata (clustered bellflower) is found in chalk grassland, C. rotundifolia (harebell) in dunes and dry, grassy places, C. latifolia (giant bellflower) in woods and shady banks and C. trachelium (nettle-leaved bellflower, bats-in-the-belfry or throatwort, alluding to historical use) in woods and hedgerows. An introduction, C.rapunculoides (creeping bellflower) has become naturalised along railway banks but is still rare.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - annuals, biennials and perennials - some evergreen. Flowers can be bell-shaped, tubular, star-shaped or cup- or saucer- shaped.
Additional Features - Good to know - - wildlife plant - insects.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails. Persicifolia and its cultivars are susceptible to rust.
Place of origin - northern hemishpere, particularly southern Europe and Turkey.
Wildlife - Bee friendly -
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring Planting Osteospermums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Summer propagation - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Self-seeding aquilegia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Feeding herbaceous peonies - Video Tip ondemand_video