emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
emailPlease enter your email address
Commonly known as Oak
Genus of about 530 species of deciduous, semi-evergreen or evergreen trees and shrubs in the beech family widely distributed in woodland and scrub in the northern hemisphere extending to tropical latitudes.
Because of land use changes and climate change many species are under acute threat. In the highlands of Mexico, Central America and the northern Andes forests have been cleared to make coffee plantations and cattle ranching. Pine forests are invading oak in the Indian Himalayas because of temperature rise.
In the UK, Phytopthora ramorum (so-called sudden oak death), a bacterium thought to cause acute oak decline and the oak processionary moth, which causes defoliation, are all modern threats.
Represented in the UK by 2 natives, Sessile or Durmast (Q. petraea), stalked leaves and unstalked acorns and English or Pedunculate (Q. robur) with very short stalks on leaves and long stalks on acorns.
Two other oaks commonly seen are the holm oak (Q. ilex), evergreen, and the Turkey oak (Q. cerris) which was introduced, mistakenly, as a source of good timber.
Semi-evergreen - Keeps some of its foliage all year, and will drop some leaves as well.
Tree - some give excellent autumn colour. Male catkins followed by female acorns
Full sun - evergreen species prefer full sun
Additional Features - Good to know - - grown for habit and foliage. Best in parkland or large garden
Pests & Diseases - aphids, gall wasps, oak wilt, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bracket fungi.
Place of origin - widely distributed northern hemisphere
Soil Conditions - Fertile well drained soil -
- When is the right time to collect seeds?
- When are seeds actually ripe and ready for collection?
- Magnolia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Cornus capitata seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Rhododendron seed collecting - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Camellia seed collection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young trees - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Fallen old tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing Ivy - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Crown uplift - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing shoots below graft - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing peeling bark - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Maintaining variegation - Video Tip ondemand_video